Eye exercises: effectiveness, techniques, eye health and more
For many centuries people considered eye exercises a natural remedy for eye conditions. Below you will find some useful exercises which help both alleviate eye fatigue and feel much better.
There is a term “digital eyestrain” which typically refers to people using computers most of the day. This condition can cause
Luckily there are some simple exercises which can help you get rid of these unpleasant digital eyestrain symptoms.
How to do eye exercises. Here are some very effective eye exercises which you can try according to your needs.
This exercise makes your eyes concentrate on a certain target. You should do it when seated.
• Hold your pointer finger several centimeters away from your eye
• Focus on your finger
• Slowly move the finger away from your face still holding your focus on it
• Look into the distance for a moment
• Then focus on your outstretched finger again and bring it back to the eye
• Look at a distant point and focus on any object
• Repeat this exercise three times
Near and far focus
This is another exercise to train your focusing. Just like the previous one it should be done when seated.
• Hold your thumb 10 inches from your face and focus on it for 15 seconds.
• Find any target 10-20 feet away from you and shift your focus to it for another 15 seconds.
• Then return your focus to your thumb
• Repeat this exercise 5 times.
Tracing figure eight
This exercise can be done when seated as well.
• Pick a point on the floor about 3 meters away from you and focus on it.
• Trace an imaginary figure eight with your eyes.
• Continue tracing figure eight for 30 seconds, then switch directions.
Eye fatigue is a real problem among some people. It is not natural for a human eye to be focused on a near object for a long time. If you are working on your computer the whole day then the 20-20-20 rule will help you alleviate eyestrain. In order to apply this rule you need to look at any distant target 20 feet away from you for 20 seconds every 20 minutes.
What is a vision therapy?
Some doctors specialize in vision therapy which is a totally individual field. This kind of therapy regards eye exercises only as a part of a more complex specialized treatment program fulfilled under the guidance of a skilled ophthalmologist, optometrist or eye care professional.
The aim of such therapy is to strengthen eye muscles. It can also improve poor eyesight behavior or help with problems in eye tracking. Here is a list of possible disorders (in children and sometimes adults) which vision therapy can address:
▪ convergence insufficiency (CI)
▪ amblyopia (lazy eye)
Tips on how to protect vision
Apart from eye exercises there are some things which you can do in order to prevent vision loss.
▪ Have a comprehensive eye exam at least once in a couple of years. Even if you have no complaints you should do it. Some people even don’t have a clue that they can see clearly with the help of contacts. Moreover some serious eye diseases can develop no symptoms at all.
▪ Learn information about health conditions of your family members. Many eye diseases are genetic.
▪ Learn about your risks. If risks of having eyesight disorders are high because of diabetes or any eye diseases in your family, pay a visit to your ophthalmologist at least twice a year.
▪ Wear sunglasses. Thus you will protect your eyes from ultraviolet rays with the help of polarized sunglasses.
▪ Keep a healthy diet rich in good fats and antioxidants, it will help you protect your vision. Eat more carrots because they’re a great source of Vitamin A which is a vital nutrient in terms of eye health.
▪ If you need eye contacts or glasses, wear them. Wearing eye contacts for vision correction will never weaken your eyes.
▪ Give up smoking and if you don’t smoke then don’t even try! Smoking is devastating for human organism including eyes.
There is scientific evidence proving that eye exercises can improve some eye conditions. Don’t forget to check your eyesight at your eye care professional regularly. Skilled doctors can easily detect any eye problems and help you treat them even before any uncomfortable symptoms develop.